- Covid live: Iran records its highest daily death toll this year; India administers 100m doses of coronavirus vaccineby Jedidajah Otte (now), Ben Quinn (earlier) on April 11, 2021 at 11:46 AM
Iran reports 258 further Covid-19 deaths; India hits vaccination milestone as infections rise; England prepares to open non-essential retail and outdoor areas of pubs Covid hotspots could lead to third wave in UK, scientists warn UK vaccination programme on track despite AstraZeneca problems India steps up vaccine effort as Covid cases hit record high How big are the blood clot risks of the AstraZeneca jab? See all our coronavirus coverage 12.46pm BST The EU must shoot for a more ambitious Covid-19 recovery plan than the landmark 750 billion euro stimulus agreed last summer after the epidemic’s first wave, French European Affairs minister Clement Beaune said on Sunday. Reuters reports: Beaune said Europe must not repeat errors made after the global financial crisis a decade ago and this time should underpin the recovery with investment, in fifth-generation (5G) wireless networks, green and digital technologies, among others. Asked in an interview on LCI television how much would be needed, Beaune said: “No doubt something like a doubling (of the existing fund). “The economic response has to be more ambitious,” he said. 12.19pm BST This from my colleague Jason Rodrigues in London: Crowds urged not to gather to pay respects to Prince Philip, nonetheless around 200 hundred people are outside Buckingham Palace having arriving on foot and some even by penny farthing pic.twitter.com/GXWIsX9MmP Continue reading...
- ‘Dumb son of a bitch’: Trump attacks McConnell in Republican donors speechby Martin Pengelly on April 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM
At Mar-a-Lago, former president also goes after Fauci and Chao … and claims party ‘can’t have these guys that like publicity’ What’s Trump up to? I tried to find out via Instagram Donald Trump devoted part of a speech to Republican donors on Saturday night to insulting the Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell. According to multiple reports of the $400,000-a-ticket, closed-press event, the former president called the Kentucky senator “a dumb son of a bitch”. Related: ‘Clear the Capitol’: Pence plea amid riot retold in dramatic Pentagon document Continue reading...
- Glenda Jackson: ‘Awards should be something you share… the camaraderie was absent’by Kathryn Bromwich on April 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM
Her performance in Elizabeth Is Missing won the veteran actress a Bafta and an Emmy – and she hasn’t missed dressing up for the virtual ceremonies Andra Day: ‘I didn’t want to be a stain on Billie Holiday’s legacy’ The British actor and former MP returned to the screen in 2019 after a 27-year break for the BBC One drama Elizabeth Is Missing. Her portrayal of Maud, a woman living with dementia, last year won her a Bafta TV award and an International Emmy for best actress. Glenda Jackson is something of an awards ceremony veteran. Throughout her career, she has amassed an enviable range of statuettes: two best actress Academy Awards (one for Ken Russell’s notorious Women in Love, the other for A Touch of Class), a Golden Globe, several Emmys, Baftas and a Tony, among others. At one Oscars ceremony, she was introduced on to the stage by Frank Sinatra. But that, she says, was in the early days, “years before they became what they are now. Which are mainly fashion shows, aren’t they?” Continue reading...
- Canada ski resort has largest outbreak of P1 Covid variant outside Brazilby Leyland Cecco in Toronto on April 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM
Whistler, in British Columbia, has registered 877 confirmed cases but officials have only a murky idea of how widely the highly infectious strain has spread For ski resorts, spring normally marks a final chance for visitors to carve sun-drenched runs before the season ends. But at Canada’s most famous ski resort, the gondolas have stopped, and the slopes are eerily quiet. Continue reading...
- Man charged with murder of millionaire hotelier Sir Richard Suttonby Vikram Dodd Police and crime correspondent on April 11, 2021 at 10:32 AM
Thomas Schreiber, 34, charged by Dorset police with murder, attempted murder and dangerous driving A man will appear in court in Dorset charged with the murder of the millionaire businessman Richard Sutton, one of Britain’s richest men. Sutton, 83, was found stabbed on Wednesday at his home in Higher Langham near Gillingham, alongside his partner, Anne Schreiber, who remains seriously ill in Southmead hospital in Bristol. Continue reading...
- Four Hundred Souls, edited by Ibram X Kendi and Keisha N Blain review – a resounding history of African Americaby Colin Grant on April 11, 2021 at 10:00 AM
In this rich anthology spanning 1619-2019, no fewer than 90 writers, historians, lawyers and activists challenge the myths of America’s past Slavery is fundamental to the story of the US, argues the 1619 Project (an initiative from the New York Times Magazine to reframe the country’s history by placing at its centre the contributions of African Americans), illuminating a legacy that has incensed conservatives. During the Black Lives Matter protests last year, President Trump weighed in on what he called a discredited attempt to “rewrite American history to teach our children that we were founded on the principle of oppression, not freedom”. The truth, as asserted by Ibram X Kendi, the co-editor of Four Hundred Souls: A Community History of African America 1619-2019, is that the US is a paradox, founded on both freedom and slavery. In recent years, Kendi, an admired public intellectual, has emerged as an able navigator of race relations. Here, along with the academic Keisha N Blain, he has assembled 90 writers in an anthology that further challenges the myths of America’s past. Continue reading...
- The solution to California’s rampant sea urchin problem is to eat them. I gave it a tryby Vivian Ho on April 11, 2021 at 10:00 AM
Biologists and chefs are urging people to chow down on the purple sea urchins that are destroying California’s vital kelp forests. Could I catch and cook my own? “Babe! I sprayed mouth everywhere!” I never thought I’d find myself screaming these words on a tranquil Sunday morning in my tiny San Francisco kitchen. Then again, I never thought I’d find myself staring at a sink full of spiky, purple aliens with a knife murderously clutched in one hand, the ethereal voice of Phoebe Bridgers softly crooning in the background. Continue reading...
- ‘No community should suffer this’: Florida’s toxic breach was decades in the makingby Paola Rosa-Aquino on April 11, 2021 at 10:00 AM
A leak at an abandoned fertilizer plant is just the latest development at a site that has polluted the area since it was built It’s been a week since a significant leak at a long-abandoned fertilizer plant in the Tampa Bay area threatened the surrounding groundwater, soil, and local water supplies. Last weekend, officials ordered more than 300 families living near the 676-acre Piney Point plant site in Manatee county to evacuate. The sheriff even emptied out his jail’s first floor of inmates in case a “20-foot wall of water” came rolling their way. Continue reading...
- Prince Philip’s death ‘ideal opportunity’ to heal royal rifts, says John Majorby Jessica Murray on April 11, 2021 at 9:55 AM
Former prime minister calls for any ‘friction’ within royal family to be swiftly resolved Grief and emotions surrounding the death of the Duke of Edinburgh represent “an ideal opportunity” to mend rifts in the royal family, the former prime minister John Major has said, as he called for “friction” to be swiftly resolved. His comments came as Prince Harry prepared to fly from California to the UK for his grandfather’s funeral on Saturday, where he will be reunited with his relatives for the first time since he and Meghan, his wife, laid bare their anger and pain at alleged treatment by the royal family in an interview with Oprah Winfrey. Continue reading...
- Rare European vultures being poisoned by livestock drugby Robin McKie on April 11, 2021 at 9:45 AM
Diclofenac was approved in Spain and Italy despite being banned in Asia after it had wiped out millions of birds A recently approved veterinary drug has been confirmed as the cause of death of a vulture in Spain. Conservationists say the incident could be the tip of an iceberg, and warn that the drug could wipe out many of Europe’s vultures as well as harming related species, including golden eagles. The anti-inflammatory agent diclofenac has already been banned in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh after it was found to kill vultures that ate the carcasses of cattle treated with the drug. Tens of millions of vultures are believed to have died in this way with some species declining by a staggering 99.9% in parts of south Asia. Continue reading...
- Trump : The key to Republican success is more Trumpismon April 11, 2021 at 11:53 AM
Staking his claim to the Republican Party, former President Donald Trump is casting his populist policies and attack-dog politics as the key to future GOP success. In a closed-door speech … Click to Continue »
- The Latest: Official says Chinese vaccines not very powerfulon April 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM
BEIJING — In a rare admission of the weakness of Chinese coronavirus vaccines, the country’s top disease control official says their effectiveness is low and the government is considering mixing … Click to Continue »
- Thailand hits new daily record with nearly 1,000 virus caseson April 11, 2021 at 11:36 AM
Thailand’s Health Ministry warned Sunday that restrictions may need to be tightened to slow the spread of a fresh coronavirus wave, as the country hit a daily record for new … Click to Continue »
- ‘Suspicious’ blackout strikes Iran’s Natanz nuclear siteon April 11, 2021 at 11:09 AM
Iran's underground Natanz nuclear facility lost power Sunday just hours after starting up new advanced centrifuges capable of enriching uranium faster, the latest incident to strike the site amid negotiations … Click to Continue »
- To ‘The Fellowship of the Springs,’ Florida is selling out an environmental treasureon April 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM
Thomas Greenhalgh risked his job and career in 2019 when he sued his own employer, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, to challenge the state’s plans to protect Florida’s imperiled … Click to Continue »
- New York City’s next mayor could be decided in the Black churchon April 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM
NEW YORK — The race to become New York City’s next mayor is playing out in the hallowed halls of Black churches. Long a dominating force in New York politics, … Click to Continue »
- AP source: Electric vehicle battery firms settle trade spaton April 11, 2021 at 8:35 AM
Two big South Korean electric vehicle battery makers have settled a long-running trade dispute that will allow one of them to move ahead with plans to make batteries in Georgia, … Click to Continue »
- EU and COVID-19: When a vaccine only adds to the troubleon April 11, 2021 at 7:37 AM
European Union leaders no longer meet around a common oval summit table to broker their famed compromises. Instead, each of the 27 watches the other heads of state or government … Click to Continue »
- Reports: Myanmar forces kill 82 in single day in cityon April 11, 2021 at 4:30 AM
At least 82 people were killed in one day in a crackdown by Myanmar security forces on pro-democracy protesters, according to reports Saturday from independent local media and an organization … Click to Continue »
- US-Philippines officials discuss concerns over China’s shipson April 11, 2021 at 3:28 AM
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Saturday discussed with his Philippine counterpart China’s recent positioning of “militia vessels” near the Philippines in the South China Sea. Austin spoke by phone with … Click to Continue »
- Franklin Graham: Trump's Wealth Shrunk Because He Put America Firston April 11, 2021 at 11:54 AM
After Forbes Magazine hit former President Donald Trump for his financial losses during his president, evangelist Franklin Graham came out in defense of the president for putting America First over his own wealth.Forbes noted Trump fell 300 spots in its billionaire rankings...
- China Launches Hotline for Netizens to Report 'Illegal' History Commentson April 11, 2021 at 11:27 AM
China's cyber regulator has launched a hotline to report online comments that defame the ruling Communist Party and its history, vowing to crack down on "historical nihilists" ahead of the Party's 100th anniversary in July. The tip line allows people to report fellow...
- UK Churches Celebrate the 'Great Life' of Prince Philipon April 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM
The life of Prince Philip was celebrated at church services across Britain on Sunday, with the Archbishop of Canterbury praying for those who found that the death of Queen Elizabeth's husband had left a "very great gap" in their lives. Marking the third of eight days of...
- 'Suspicious' Blackout Strikes Iran's Natanz Nuclear Siteon April 11, 2021 at 10:43 AM
Iran's underground Natanz nuclear facility lost power Sunday just hours after starting up new advanced centrifuges capable of enriching uranium faster, the latest incident to strike the site amid negotiations over the tattered atomic accord with world powers.As Iranian...
- Philippines, US to Begin 2-Week Joint Military Drill on Mondayon April 11, 2021 at 10:36 AM
Philippine and U.S. soldiers will conduct a two-week joint military exercise from Monday, resuming the annual training event after last year's cancellation due to the pandemic, the Philippine military chief said on Sunday. The announcement came after the two countries'...
- Trump in 2024? He Says Only That 'a Republican' Will Winon April 10, 2021 at 11:27 PM
Former President Donald Trump plans to affirm his commitment to the Republican Party - and raise the possibility that someone else will be the GOP's next presidential nominee - in a closed-door speech to donors Saturday night.
- Jason Miller to Newsmax TV: Trump Uniting GOP in Floridaon April 10, 2021 at 11:06 PM
Former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago speech Saturday night will point out the need for Republicans to win back the House and Senate in 2022 and the White House in 2024, his senior adviser Jason Miller told Newsmax TV.
- Dick Morris to Newsmax TV: Biden Spending a 'Christmas Tree'on April 10, 2021 at 10:16 PM
Another massive spending proposal by President Joe Biden on infrastructure is a Christmas tree Democrats intend to hang any ornament it wants on, according to presidential strategist Dick Morris on Newsmax TV.
- Georgia Governor: Loss of All-Star Game Will Hurt Minoritieson April 10, 2021 at 6:00 PM
Georgia's Republican governor on Saturday stepped up his attack on Major League Baseball's decision to pull this summer's All-Star Game from the state in response to a sweeping new voting law.
- GOP Rep. Crenshaw Takes 1-Month Leave After Eye Surgeryon April 10, 2021 at 4:53 PM
Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas, announced Saturday he will take a one month leave from his congressional duties to recover from surgery to his eye that will leave him "effectively blind" for a month.